Overstock - Senior Database Engineer
At Overstock, we are having tremendous success in our mission of Dream Homes for All. This continues to open exciting positions in our data organization. We are looking for a senior Oracle DBA with strong experience managing mission critical databases.
This position is an excellent opportunity for someone who wants to be an integral part of a very talented data team that is transforming online retail. We are looking for an impact player in Oracle, Postgres and Cloud. The candidate for this position lives and breathes industry best practices, has very experienced technical and communication skills with a proven record of excellence.
If you have a passion for data and you enjoy working with a leading-edge modern data ecosystem then you are someone we’d like to talk to. https://lnkd.in/gK87z6Z
The Senior Database Engineer ensures longevity of Enterprise Database Systems through backup and recovery, high availability, tuning, and development. Implements and maintains the database environment. Primary function is to monitor and maintain a production Oracle and Postgres database environments, including run-time optimization, capacity management and planning, security, configuration, scheduling, and execution of maintenance utilities. Maintains user tables and permissions.
The Senior Database Engineer is responsible for data security and referential integrity of the database. Responsible for training other DBA/DBE's in emerging technologies, and to act as support to architectural decision making.
The Senior Database Engineer must be capable of translating Business needs into technical actions. The Engineer must be able to work closely with Developers, Architects, and Business Individuals to ensure that the best business and technical practices (for the circumstance) are being employed.
The Senior Database Engineer will encounter difficult decisions regarding best practices that will require analytic thinking to determine when deviations from standards may be necessary, and able to develop plans to correct deviations and technical debt in the future.
- Physical database design and tuning
- Bulk loading of source data and source data conditioning
- Database security and diagnostic maintenance
- Logical-to-physical data model engineering.
- Configuration management of application software to database structure
- Capacity planning of database and needs assessment
- Distributed database management and control
- Database user security and permissions
- Evaluation and utilization of software products to assist in the management of data
- Planning, installation, and maintenance of DBMS software
- Primary interface to DBMS vendor
- Diagnosis of problems and resolution for application software
- Measurement of DBMS performance and tuning; diagnosis of problems
- Modification of system-level configuration to optimize performance
- Interface with SQL developers for performance and data access requirements
- Development of standards and procedures for the DBMS environment
- Consultation with system administrator regarding O/S - DBMS requirements
- Maintenance of physical integrity of all production databases
- Regularly scheduled verification procedures and error correction
- Monitoring errors and work with Oracle Support
- Train other team members in emerging technologies
- Act as advisors to Architect teams
- Understand strengths and weaknesses of systems alternative to Oracle, OLTP, RDBMS, etc.
- Be able to make recommendations on these technologies
- Aid in application design and tuning with regard to the database
- Assist in guiding the technical direction of the database team
- Make difficult/mission-critical "last-call" decisions
- Understand programing languages with enough proficiency to aid developers in translating code to PL/SQL
- Adapt to changes in job requirements, learning and applying new skills as needed to ensure the company's success
- Fulfill all other requests/needs determined by management
- Perform other duties as required and assigned by manager and upper management.
- Follow legal policies as directed.
Excellent organizational, interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
Ability to perform comfortably in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented work environment.
Provide 24/7 support for Technical Operations and participate in an on-call rotation.
Minimum of 5+ years’ experience in Relational Database Administration in a production environment.
Advanced knowledge of SQL and PL/SQL optimization techniques.
Highly proficient in instance level tuning.
Well versed in storage management and storage tuning.
Expertise in Information Lifecycle Management.
Expert with backup and recovery solutions including planning, implementing and periodic evaluation of backup/recovery (offline/online) strategies, RMAN, recovery catalog and fast recovery strategies.
Understanding of capacity planning and traffic modeling.
Excellent scripting in both bash & perl.
Strong problem solving and analytical skills.
Experience working in a team environment.
- Oracle Database, RAC, Advanced Data Guard, Partitioning, PL/SQL, OCI
- Good Automation skills
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field or equivalent work experience required
- Certifications in Oracle database technology are desired